About the Town of HamiltonWelcome to our town's official website
The Village of Neshonoc (now known as the Town of Hamilton) was founded in 1851 when Monroe Palmer arrived in the area with dreams of establishing a new settlement in Wisconsin by building a saw and grist mill on the La Crosse River. Located in the central part of La Crosse County, it was the center of immigration in the county with its beautiful bluffs, rolling prairies and a river flowing through the district. The village was made up of 147 lots in 18 various sized blocks. There were five streets, intersected by four others. Neshonoc was becoming a flourishing village as lots were being sold and houses were being built.
With the coming of the railroad, the Village of West Salem was platted out in 1856 and became their own establishment. In 1866, the Village of Neshonoc was renamed the Town of Hamilton.